Sunday, July 17, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza


Ever since we first had this particular pizza, three weeks or so ago, I think about it every day.
I really don't think I am exaggerating.
Every day.
Something about it added up to perfection.
Not necessarily nutritionally...though, really, it doesn't exactly go on the awful list. Just a nice medium.
And DELICIOUS.

Not to mention a great meal for kids to help with.



Here it is!


Ingredients:
*1 pizza crust
(I do have a couple of good recipes for pizza crust, will eventually get a recipe on here and link over! For now, do whatever your heart desires!)
*1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
*1/2 c barbecue sauce, plus a little extra for spreading on crust
(I also have a really good recipe for this! And again, I will eventually get that on here and link over. For now...you know the drill...do whatever your heart desires!)
*olive oil, for drizzling
*salt for sprinkling
*8 oz, weight, fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
*1/4 of a red onion, sliced very thin
*chopped cilantro, to taste (but the more the merrier, my friends!)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Salt chicken breast on both sides, then place in ovenproof dish. Pour BBQ sauce over the chicken and turn it over to coat. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove from oven and cut into a fine dice. Set aside.
3. Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees.
4. Roll/stretch out pizza crust. Lay it on a sheet pan drizzled with olive oil. Drizzle a little olive oil on the crust, then sprinkle on a little salt.
5. Spoon a couple of tablespoons (or more) of extra BBQ sauce on the crust and spread it evenly. Top sauce with the mozzarella. Sprinkle on the diced chicken and thinly sliced red onion.
6. Sprinkle again with a little salt, then bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on plenty of chopped fresh cilantro. Cut into squares and serve immediately.


Notes:
*As you can tell from my picture, I didn't buy fresh mozzarella, just a regular block of it from the regular cheese section of the grocery store and sliced it up as thinly as I could. If I wander into the fancy cheese section, I may not ever come back. So I try to steer clear. (Though next time...I'm going fresh. Heaven help us.) But really, it turned out fine.
*I am making this again this Saturday and I am having JC marinate and broil some barbecue chicken ahead of time while he is doing the chicken we are having for dinner tomorrow...so, I will already have some chicken ready, cutting down on prep time. Always a good way to go. The less time the oven is on in August, the better!


If you are looking for the theme of my summertime meals, it is clearly...
Less Is More.
Apparently.
Every time I take a picture of what we have for dinner, it always seems there is just some random fruit along with it or something. I lose the homemaker competition for sure.
But, really...a fantastic BBQ Chicken Pizza covered in cilantro with some fresh cherries on the side?
No complaints here.

No comments:

Post a Comment