Friday, July 15, 2011

Roasted Cinnamon Honey Chickpeas


Okay. So, chickpeas aren't exactly at the top of my list of favorite foods. But they are somewhere near the top of my list of foods I that wish I, and my family, enjoyed more so we would get the health benefits they offer.
When I found this recipe, it just LOOKED so yummy, I decided to try it. Quite honestly, I thought maybe I could trick my kids into liking chickpeas.
And it worked.
I can't believe someone thought to do this with chickpeas. (But that is why I love weelicious.com!)


Ingredients:
1 15 oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked Garbanzo Beans)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp honey

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place the beans between 2 towels and pat dry, loosening the outer skin of beans.
3. Remove the outer skins of the beans and pat dry to remove any other excess liquid.
4. Whisk the cinnamon and oil in a bowl to combine.
5. Add the beans, stirring to coat, and place on a baking sheet.
6. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove the beans from the oven, place in a bowl, and toss with honey.
8. Place the beans back on the baking sheet and into the oven, roasting an additional 10 minutes.
9. Cool completely and serve!


Notes:
*Makes about 2 cups.
*Can be stored in an airtight container on your counter or in the pantry for up to 2 weeks.
*Original recipe calls for the first roasting time to be a full 40 minutes long but I found they got a little bit of a burnt taste, so I lessened the time to closer to 30. They weren't quite as crunchy then...I will probably keep playing with it. Probably depends on the individual oven, elevation, etc.
*The first time we ate them, I felt like they could be sweeter to balance out the 'bean' taste and the cinnamon flavor. I added a little extra honey the next time and the flavor was good but they were noticeably more sticky, instead of being the kind of snack you could grab a handful of and carry around with you. (You know you look for that in a snack food.) Again, I will probably keep playing with it!
*If more than one person is eating them and likely to enjoy doing so, I suggest doubling the recipe. Plus, if you are going to go through the trouble of making a homemade snack like this, it is nice if it lasts for more than one snacking period!

AND...

*If you decide to be clumsy, and spill one child's portion on the floor as you are attempting to place it in front of them, just know...you will be picking up those bad boys one by one. They don't sweep up well. Now you know.

AND...

*Don't expect honey roasted peanuts. These are good, but they are an acquired taste. Certainly worth acquiring though!!! I dare you to try them. Twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment