Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Granola Balls




I feel like this is the most celebrated recipe I found over the summer. (Courtesy of weelicious.com. Again.) Granola balls have taken over. They have been afternoon snack. They have been breakfast. They have been packed in school lunches. They have been snack for the 1st grade class.
They are yummy.
And they are great because they pack a big protein punch if you have a good granola at the base...nuts, seeds, etc. It's fantastic. Good protein, good fats, and the kids think they're getting a treat. Well, they are. But...one that I don't mind giving them. :)


Ingredients:
1/2 cup nut (or seed) butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1 cup brown rice crispys
1 1/2 cups granola
1/4 cup raisins (or other dried fruit), chopped


Directions:
1. Place the nut butter and rice syrup in a small saucepan over low to medium heat and warm for a few minutes, until it becomes smooth and combined.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl, and stir to combine.
3. Pour the warm nut butter mixture into the bowl with the granola mixture and stir to combine.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls, right away while still warm, using damp hands.
5. Serve.


Notes:
*They really are best served right away. I tried freezing them and didn't like the outcome, though I might just need to try again. And not be so picky.
*You can use a tablespoon or a small ice cream scooper to help get a good ball going.
*I have used peanut butter every time, though the original recipe I found called for almond butter, and I think sunflower seed butter would be good too.
*As the mixture cools and your hands dry, it gets a little sticky and harder to form the balls. I just keep rinsing my hands to keep them somewhat wet and that does the trick!


K, so go try them!
Kids love them, adults love them, and they are fun to make!
And I use a lot of exclamation points when talking about them!

They're so good they make you want to give them a good snuggle.

And, of course, share them with your friends.


Good stuff. Delicious granola recipe that provides the base for these soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment